If your teeth are crooked or if you have a misaligned bite, Dr. Jensen at Jensen Orthodontic Arts in McKinney, Texas may recommend braces. During your exam, Dr. Jensen will take impressions of your teeth, photos of your teeth and face, and x-rays of your mouth and head. Your treatment plan will be formed based on this information.
Braces use several components to apply continuous pressure over a period of time to move the teeth to their ideal positions. These components include:
– Brackets: Brackets are squares that are bonded to the front or back of each tooth with a dental adhesive . The brackets hold the arch wires in place as that adjuse the postions of your teeth.
– Arch Wires: These attach to the brackets and guide the teeth to their ideal positions.
– Orthodontic bands: These bands wrap around each tooth to anchor the brackets in place. They are not used for all patients. Some individuals have brackets and no bands.
– Ligatures: These tiny rubber bands hold the arch wires to the brackets.
– Elastics: Brackets have hooks that elastics or rubber bands are attached to to connect the upper and lower teeth in various ways. This applies pressure to the upper teeth against the lower teeth to achieve an ideal bite.
There are certain foods that you should avoid when wearing braces, including:
– Hard or difficult-to-bite foods
– Chewy foods
– Corn on the cob
– Hard pretzels, nuts, carrots, and popcorn
Also, do not chew bubble gum or ice.
We encourage you to contact Jensen Orthodontic Arts today at 214-842-8106 to learn more about orthodontics and to schedule a consultation.214-842-8106
I feel privileged to help you any way I can.
Dr. Doug Jensen